Take care in the garden this May Bank Holiday but know what to do if there is an injury

DIY and gardening accidents account for many thousands of hospital admissions every year.

Now GPs across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent are asking people to make sure they know the best place to go in case of injury. It’s especially important as we head into another Bank Holiday with the gardening season in full swing.

Unfortunately, many people head for A&E when they could get more appropriate NHS help elsewhere.  Leading local GP Dr Mo Huda said: “Accident and Emergency departments often see people with cuts, sprains or other DIY-related problems during bank holiday weekends. Most of these can be treated quickly by one of our Walk In Centres instead.”

Please remember that A&E and 999 are for potentially life-threatening emergencies. There is a range of alternative NHS help available over the Bank Holiday, including:

  • Minor injuries units can treat cuts and lacerations; soft tissue injuries like sprains and bruises; foreign bodies in eyes, nose or ears, fractures that just need to be plastered, head injuries where the victim hasn’t become unconscious, burns and scalds
  • Walk-in centres can offer advice and issue prescriptions if you need to see someone before your GP practice is next open
  • Pharmacies are often open during bank holidays and can offer advice for many aches and pains, and provide over-the-counter treatment and First Aid supplies
  • NHS111 –call 111 if you need medical advice quickly, but it is not life-threatening and you don't need an ambulance immediately
  • If you need out-of-hours advice from a GP, 111 is also the number to ring.

Minor Injuries Units can be found at Leek Moorlands Community Hospital, Haywood Community Hospital Burslem, Cannock Chase Hospital, Sir Robert Peel Community Hospital Tamworth and Samuel Johnson Community Hospital Lichfield

We use cookies to improve your experience of using this website. how we use cookies